Monday, May 24, 2010

Handlebar taping/twining

Inspired by Kent Petersen of Rivendell Bikes and Velouria of Lovely Bicycle! I decided to twine the ends of my new bar tape to dress up my "cockpit". To protect the twine I applied amber shellac, and today I shellaced the "natural" color bar tape. Pictures to follow. The bar tape on its own had a slight pinkish cast I did not like, the amber shellac took care of that. I fashioned champagne corks to fit as bar ends, a single twist of twine and a second coat of shellac will finish it off.

By the way, if you want a serious bike that is more versatile that the boy-racer variants the big names are pushing, you could do a lot worse that buy from Rivendell. I have no connection to the company, but appreciate their cycling philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment